Sunday, April 12, 2009

artists and a statement

nina katchadourian's work...
this i relate to the most because her images relate more to the human body, than to maps with longitude and latitude.



guillermo kuitca....
this i just love.
it's something i wish that i could do myself.




leo saul berk, i found him through a few topographical pieces he made.
but this one... same palette i'm working with currently.


artist statement by ke-sook lee

My work explores boundary of drawing, adopting common marks from everyday life as drawing mark such as worn holes, mended holes, wrinkles and folded marks and layered doily marks on wet pulp. Holding sharp needles like a pen, thread follows the needle pricks in and out of the fabric leaving the dots. Each dot stays in line and accumulation of lines create form until it gives a meaning. These forms are personal symbols and transfigured image of women from my experience of mother, wife, homemaker and an individual artist.

I learned hand embroidery and sewing from my grandmother and great grandmother. They did not know how to read or write like most of the women of her generation in Korea, but knew how to express their impassioned thoughts through embroidery. My work is inspired by their graceful endurance and creativity. Holding my inheritance in one hand and reaching out to contemporary drawing with the other hand, my work continues freeing itself from the boundary of art making, cultivating to find my identity and feminine aesthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment